Help to sequester carbon and also support native biodiversity by supporting Te Kakano’s planting projects.
Through Te Kākano, you can alleviate the impact of your own, or your business’s carbon footprint and make a difference locally by:
- Donating to the whole plant life cycle: seed collection, plant propagation in the nursery, planting and on-going maintenance. If you wish to donate to a specific project let us know when you donate. Click here to donate.
- Partnering with us on a site-specific project. Email email@example.com.
Carbon sequestration benefits from donating to Te Kākano are:
- Increasing bio-diversity and thus enhancing our local ecosystems
- Planting native trees that will sequester carbon for longer
- Planting native shrubs that also play a role in sequestering carbon, but to a lesser extent
- Using eco-sourced plants that are appropriate for the region and our project sites
- No felling
- Helping spread the message so community involvement grows
- The opportunity for you to be “hands on” if you attend a planting maintenance or nursery session
- Demonstrating your, or your business’s, commitment to the environment
Note that our projects are too small for us to qualify for an official carbon offset programme.
Organisations supporting Carbon Sequestration…
These contributors provide valuable income throughout the year helping us to grow and plant native plants in the area. Some initiatives are on-going rather than one-off.
Ridgeline Adventures partner with us on the Glendhu Bay project. They make a donation every year towards this project and provide their customers with hands-on experience when they visit the site.
Eco Wanaka Adventures provide customers with the opportunity to plant a tree when visiting Mou Waho island and donates to Te Kākano for each tree supplied.
Rippon Vineyard makes an annual donation to support more planting along the lakeshore and help us with our operational costs.
Puzzling World is dedicated to supporting the restoration of native habitats at Diamond Lake and support the planting at this site every year. They also support our volunteers by donating a delicious morning tea.
Triple Glazing NZ contributes to the WEKA block project for each sale they make in recognition that they import the products they sell.
Wanaka Homestead donates to Te Kākano each time a guest chooses their “don’t wash our towels daily” programme.
Balanced Accounting contributed in recognition of their annual travel emissions.
Upper Clutha Tramping Club, Forest and Bird members contribute when they travel to a tramping or trapping destination.
Protect Our Winters (POW) athletes contribute in recognition of the impact of their travel to and from events.
Beautiful Gardens of Wanaka promote Te Kākano with “Will you have a tree with that?”
Thanks to the many other individuals and groups who make donations in recognition of their carbon footprint.